- What exactly is a Game Master
- What do they do?
- How do I become one?
These are all fabulous questions and are about to be answered for you.
A Game Master is a Community Volunteer who may often be found in-game, on the forums and in Discord. Game Masters formerly known as GS's are selected for their knowledge in a game as well as their willingness to help and their positive attitudes.
Game Masters are normal players with more responsibilities. A Game Master is a representative of Aeria Games and serves to speak on behalf of Aeria Games to players and vice versa. Game Masters help resolve player issues where they can and will call a CM if needed and when they can. They also try to make the game more enjoyable for the players by running events for the players among other things.
If a Game Master tells you that something is wrong and to stop doing it, do NOT try to debate it if it's obvious that it is borderline or even obviously wrong. If there's a reasonable doubt as to whether it's right or wrong, you can always send a ticket.
Good question! Game Masters are called upon to do some, but not limited to the following:
- Communicating with players about their issues, concerns and feedback as well as providing them with need-to-know information and gameplay assistance.
- Documenting issues and bugs in the proper format.
- Resolving in-game issues such as harassment, excessive foul language, etc.
- Mediating between parties during arguments to prevent issues from being exploded out of proportion.
- Coming up with new in-game events for the players.
- Planning, organizing and running in-game/forum events for the players.
- Being the first line of customer service for Aeria Games.
Game Masters work with the CM team - but they are not employees of Aeria, just volunteers. They are virtually players just like the rest of the community.
As such, GM's are NOT required to:
- Power level your characters.
- Run instances/PVP with you. You can ask, but like any player they have the right to decline.
- Give out free items or gold.
- Deal with harassment. They can and will report you for harassment like anyone else.
A Game Master are also NOT allowed to do the following:
- Mediate trades or transfer items for you.
- Call a Community Manager (CM) for you. If you need to contact a CM, please submit a RT.
- Forward your RT.
They also cannot modify, edit or change any aspects of the game, accounts or anything outside of their own character.
Information you receive as a Game Master is absolutely private. This applies to information you get from the PMs, CMs, forum moderators or even other GMs. Trust is vitally important for this program and without it - we cannot function as a team.
You must be impartial, be it faction, guild or friends.
As a volunteer for Aeria Games, you do two things. You represent the player to Aeria and you represent Aeria to the player. Your behavior reflects on you as well as the team. Always approach players politely. Never threaten a player nor threaten punitive actions (bans, mute, etc.) on them. Never speak down to a fellow player or treat them as inferior. Game Masters, again, are players as well, they just have more responsibilities than the others do.
If you cannot find the answer to something and you've checked all the mediums - wiki, forums and asked other players, you should know how to use your best judgement (aka common sense). It's OKAY to not have all the answers as long as you make an effort to improve and learn.
Being familiar with the game and forums, understanding and following the Terms of Service, FAQ and Policies of Aeria Games. You should be well-versed in locating information.
You're applying to be a Game Master for a game that has swordplay and magic - this is serious business. We expect you to mind your P's and Q;s, but we want you to have FUN too. There needs to be a balance between being serious and having fun, if you want to be a successful GM.
The GM position is not only fun, but it is also a duty and responsibility, with a role that represents Aeria Games. So you've got to be a role model to the players.
Before the trial period can begin, an NDA must be signed.
We look for players who have already shown improvement or willingness to assist the community - not players who try to help at the last minute. The Game Master program is not a popularity contest. It's tough work sometimes and you have to be prepared for hard questions and inquiring players. Make sure you're aware of what you're applying to do. The only thing left to do is apply when applications are open - which is announced on the forums in a Game Master Application thread. If you don't see one, that means applications are closed.
If you have more questions, you can ask any of the current Shaiya GMs and they will be more than happy to assist.
A Game Master applicant
- Must be at least 18
- Must have time to contribute to the community in a specified role
- Must have a record of contributions in-game and on forums
- Must have strong people skills, enthusiasm and game knowledge
- Must have a desire to expand and improve the community
- Must show teamwork and an ability to work and support discussion with others
- Must be willing to meet any additional requirements in their specified role
- May not be on any watch list or ban list or have had any serious infractions in the past.
Furthermore he or she
- Must have minimum 6 months experience with the game
- Must have been an Aeria Games Member for minimum 6 months
- Must have met the forum post requirements for the game
- Must be willing to be part of a team and meet the minimum participation requirements
Please, never ever forget that Game Masters are normal players. They are volunteers willing to help you and us. They have to follow the same rules you have to follow.
However, if they ask you to stop something (like spamming the chat), remind you to follow the rules, etc. ... then show respect and take it seriously!
A GM may have characters on both factions - this is sometimes useful and needed (for example for Events, testings, chat observation, in-game announcements via trade chat and more) - do not call this into question.
If you think someone is breaking the rules in any way (and it does not matter if it is a [GM] or a "normal" player) then please always create a ticket and add as much detailed information as possible like time, date, what has happened, ... and screenshots.
Do not create a forum posts to report players, to harass players, ... name calling is not allowed. Do not post pictures / screenshots in which you can see player names and report them as hacker / botter / "bad guy" - you can never know if the character was maybe hacked and could ruin someone's gameplay fun or even life.
Tickets are considered personal and are not to be posted or otherwise made public without permission.
Violations of these rules will result in the post being edited or even removed.
Please follow the rules and report players via ticket system only!